You likely have many questions running through your head right now. Organizing them for your upcoming doctor’s appointment may feel difficult. Here are some questions usually asked at this very important appointment.
But first one very important tip: If possible, please bring someone with you to your appointment. You will be hearing a lot of new information. A second set of ears and someone to take notes will be very helpful. If you don’t have someone to go with you, please contact Forge’s Client Services Coordinator, Janet Dees, at (205) 990-5367 or [email protected]. She may be able to match you with a peer who has had breast cancer, too, and can go with you to your appointment. Si hablas español y quieres más información, por favor contacta a Ana Emaldi, al (205) 990-5375 O al [email protected].
- What kind of breast cancer do I have?
- What is the stage of my breast cancer and what does that mean?
- Were any tests done on my tumor? If so, what were the results (example: hormone receptor status test)? How do these results affect my treatment options?
- What type of doctors should I see? When should I see them?
- How can I get a copy of my pathology report?
- Has the cancer spread to my lymph nodes or other organs?
- Will my lymph nodes (located under the arm) be removed? Why?
- What is a sentinel node biopsy? Will I have this done? How accurate is a sentinel lymph node biopsy.
- What tests will I have before surgery to see if the cancer has spread to any other organs (liver, lungs, bones)? When will the tests be done?
- What is my prognosis (chance for recovery from treatment)?
- What are the chances that my cancer will come back- or that I will develop another type of cancer?
- Should I consider Genetic Testing?
- How much experience do you have treating this type of cancer?
- How will this affect my loved ones and family? What resources are available to them?
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Forge’s Client Services Coordinator, Janet Dees, at (205)990-5367 or [email protected]. Si hablas español y quieres más información, por favor contacta a Ana Emaldi, al (205) 990-5375 O al [email protected].